Anniversary of Elaina ValtierraJanuary 7, 2021
Lipe Lyons is delighted to celebrate Elaina R. Valtierra’s third anniversary with the firm. Ms. Valtierra is a litigation associate who focuses her practice on the defense of premise liability, construction liability, transportation liability, and product liability claims. Just a few of Ms. Valtierra’s many successes in the past year are highlighted below:
- Succeeded on four dispositive motions objecting to the court’s personal jurisdiction in a products liability case;
- Settled a complex construction liability claim weeks prior to trial, securing a settlement for a small percentage of Plaintiffs’ initial $16 million demand;
- Participating in the Illinois Defense Counsel Diversity and Inclusivity Committee’s panel discussion: “Diverse Thoughts on Diversity.”
Ms. Valtierra is an active member in a number of professional and civic organizations. Ms. Valtierra was selected to represent Lipe Lyons at the International Society of Primerus Law Firms' 2019 Global Conference in San Diego, California and the 2020 Young Lawyers Society Conference in Coral Gables, Florida. She also serves as the Vice Chair of the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee. Additional information on Ms. Valtierra’s experience and her exceptional results can be found in the attorney section of our website.
Congratulations to Alejandra BarcenasDecember 14, 2020
Lipe Lyons is proud to celebrate associate, Alejandra Barcenas’ two year anniversary with the firm. Ms. Barcenas is a litigation associate at Lipe Lyons who focuses her practice on the defense of commercial, construction, premises liability, and transportation claims in state and federal courts. Just a few of Ms. Barcenas’ successes in the last year include:
- Ms. Barcenas obtained a favorable outcome for Lipe Lyons’ client in a Cook County Commercial Arbitration case involving claims for business property damage, business interruption damages, and claims for insurance proceeds, limiting the arbitration award to approximately $30,000, instead of the total $90,00.00 claimed by the Plaintiff.
- Ms. Barcenas represented multiple defendants during a court mediation and successfully negotiated a favorable settlement for those clients, preventing the need for further complex litigation. Despite Plaintiff’s opening global settlement demand of $950,000, the case ultimately settled with Lipe Lyons’ clients paying only a collective sum of $20,000.
- In a case involving injuries sustained by a plaintiff after she slipped and fell in front of insured’s hotel, Ms. Barcenas represented defendants during a private mediation and successfully negotiated a favorable settlement for those clients, preventing the need for further complex litigation. Despite Plaintiff’s opening settlement demand of $1,500,000, the case ultimately settled with Lipe Lyons’ clients paying only $300,000.
- Ms. Barcenas drafted, presented, and won a motion to dismiss indemnity claims filed against Lipe Lyons’ client in a commercial case involving business property damage and construction claims.
Additionally, Ms. Barcenas was nominated and selected for Super Lawyers’ 2021 Rising Stars, as well as being selected to join fellow Latina lawyers from across the country and from all areas of the profession in attending the 2020 Hispanic National Bar Association Latina Leadership Program. Ms. Barcenas was also featured in the LLSA Alumni Spotlight Newsletter published by Loyola University Chicago School of Law’s Latinx Law Student Association.
Primerus Dram Shop Law Compendium, Illinois.May 17, 2017
Preparing a Witness: Rule 30(b)(6) Depositions in the ESI WorldJanuary 21, 2016
Lipe Lyons Presentationssince May 16, 2012